95% of Baby Food Tested positive for metals!
I wanted to comment on the CNN article which reported that 95% of baby foods tested contained toxic metals.
In case you missed it....
I have been receiving a number of questions from parents about whether they should be worried. My answer to this is NO. Please don’t let this scare you too much. Most news these days is meant to instill fear and to obtain clicks and this article certainly does just that.
Should you take note of these findings. ABSOLUTELY. I do not think that it is a big shock that we are living in a toxic soup of metals and chemicals. This is not late breaking news. What we must remember is that we all have amazing detoxification pathways and our bodies can handle most toxins and chemicals. We only run into trouble when the toxic load rises above the level that our body can handle. This threshold is different for every child and is based on their unique genetics.
This article should not cripple you with fear, but should inspire you to take a second to think about the products you use at home and the foods you feed your children. Is there some small change you can make to decrease their chemical load? Maybe even that small change can make a long-term difference. Let’s stay positive. Let’s talk about real world solutions. Not debilitating fear!
It is no secret that foods are contaminated with chemicals. There have been a number of recent reports on the pesticide glyphosate being found in nearly all snack bars, oats, beer etc. This article adds to the mounting evidence that eating organic, local and concisely is increasingly important. This is one of the very reasons I joined with Rob Herring and Earth Conscious Films because this message needs to get out there. We need to realize how contaminated most of our food and soil is. People have been asking about brands I would recommend as an alternative to store bought baby food. One of the products I highly recommend is Tummy Thyme. For those of you in the LA area, you may have seen them at the Studio City Farmers market. Amazing small batch baby products that they personally make We need to all be supporting local businesses that make food the right way using real chemical free ingredients!!
The next question is…..so what can we do? The off the cuff remark would be to move to the mountains haha. But in reality, we aren’t going to do that so we need real world solutions.
Here are some of the things you can do to decrease the toxic load for your family.
1. Eat organic where possible
2. Wash all produce thoroughly to get off chemicals
3. Eat grass-fed meats and wild caught fish
4. Shop local such as at farmers markets
5. Know where your food comes from. Get to know the farmers. Go to the farms if you can.
6. Plant a home garden
7. Get a water filter for your home
8. Switch out home cleaners water, vinegar, baking soda and essential oils.
9. Do not buy food in fancy fun packaging or with long chemical names you don’t understand as much as possible. Doesn’t mean you can’t ever buy these products, just minimize it.
10. Spend your money on food. It is our building blocks. Spend more for higher quality if at all possible. If we buy local, more local options will pop up. Everything follows the money.
Let’s talk detox. Here are some simple ways you can detox chemicals and metals from your body. -Of course each person is different so not all of these are great for all, but these are some general ideas for you to discuss with your physician or me if I am your pediatrician
-Also please don’t do all of these at once. You can over detox.
1. Detox daily smoothies/juice (cilantro, celery and a little green apple for taste) 2. Exercise and sweating
3. Get into nature, get natural vitamin D
4. Supplementing such as vitamin D, C, glutathione, milk thistle, astragalus, magnesium, zinc, quercetin, resveratrol, turmeric.
5. Activated Charcoal
6. Restore supplement
8. TRS zeolite
9. Gut cleanse (ginger, psyllium seed husk, bentonite clay, etc)
10. Castor oil packs
11. Epsom salt bath
12. Essential oils
Have a wonderful weekend!
Joel Warsh, MD