Who doesn't like a delicious and healthy dessert?
With the weather heating up, we wanted to experiment with a play on an ice-cream cake. The key is using a good quality, full-fat Greek yoghurt and some seasonal fruit (we chose strawberries). Feel free to add an additional 1/3 of a cup of honey (or sweetener of your choice), as this recipe is only subtly sweet.
Enjoy this refreshing dessert or afternoon snack!!
2.2lb x full-fat Greek yoghurt
1 can x coconut cream (approx 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup x good quality honey (or agave, maple syrup, date paste)
1 tsp x vanilla essence
1 x punnet strawberries (we are using Strawberries from Sunrise Farms)
1 x lge orange, freshly squeezed
1/2 cup pistachios, shelled and crushed (or nut of your choice)
1. Combine the yoghurt, coconut cream, vanilla and honey in a shallow, freezer safe container. Taste for sweetness and adjust, if needed. Cover in plastic wrap, pressing down so that the wrap is touching the yoghurt and freeze for 2-3 hours.
2. Remove yoghurt from freezer and smash up the yoghurt into small pieces. Blend in a food processor until smooth and creamy (this reduces the ice crystals). *You could do this step of freezing and blending a few times for a creamier result.
3. Line a medium-sized loaf or cake tin with plastic wrap, that hangs over the edges (for easy removal of the cake later).
4. Pour half of the yoghurt mixture into the tin. Tap the tin on the bench so that the yoghurt evenly spreads out. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down so that the wrap touches the yoghurt. Return to the freezer. For the other half of the yoghurt; return back to the original shallow dish, cover with plastic wrap and freeze.
5. Place strawberries and freshly squeezed orange juice in a saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until soft and gently bubbling (approx 15-20 min). Once cooled, blend.
6. Take the yoghurt in the cake tin from freezer and discard plastic wrap.
7. Sprinkle crushed pistachio over the yoghurt. Top with the strawberry puree and evenly spread out with a spoon. Cover with plastic wrap and return to the freezer.
8. To complete, remove the yoghurt in the original shallow dish from the freezer and repeat step 2. Then pour over the strawberry mixture in the cake tin. Tap down on the bench for even distribution and cover with plastic wrap, so that the wrap touches the yoghurt.
9. Freeze overnight.
10. Before enjoying, sit the cake tin on the bench for 10 minutes before turning out the cake. Cut nice thick pieces, top with finely crushed ginger cookies and enjoy!!