Taking inspiration from the Japanese style Matcha Mille Crepe Cake, we had so much fun transforming our Spinach & Banana Pancakes into a delicious and healthy version of this specialty (sans Matcha!).
This pan-CAKE would work a treat to replace a smash-cake or can be enjoyed for a special breakfast or lunch box treat!
1 x bag Tummy Thyme Spinach & Banana Pancakes
1/2 cup x Full-Fat Greek Yoghurt (strained overnight) or Creme Fraiche
1 tbsp x honey, maple syrup or sweetener alternative (less or more depending on personal preference)
1 tsp x vanilla essence
1 tsp x lemon zest
Optional: coconut flakes, crushed freeze dried strawberries and pistachios
1. If using Greek yoghurt; Strain the yogurt for at least two hours, but preferably overnight (in the refrigerator).
2. Gently heat the pancakes so that they are warm to the touch but not hot.
3. Whilst the pancakes are warm, use a rolling pin to roll them out so that they are almost paper thin. Being very careful that they don't rip (you may need to use a palette knife to lift them off the chopping board).
4. Stack the thinned pancakes on top of each other. Place a cookie cutter on top of the stack and use a knife to trace around the cookie cutter. Discard the overflow of pancake.
5. In a bowl, mix the Greek yoghurt or Creme Fraiche with the lemon zest, vanilla essence and honey (or sweetener of your choice).
6. To Assemble: Spoon 1 tbsp of the creamy filling on top of a pancake and spread out evenly with a palette knife. Continue layering the pancakes in the same way until all the pancakes are stacked and 3/4 of the mixture is used. Use the remaining mixture to frost the cake.
**Optional: Sprinkle the cake with coconut flakes, crushed freeze dried strawberries and pistachios!!
7. Place the cake in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes so the filling can set.