Is there anything more comforting than breaking apart some delicious hot bread straight from the oven and slathering on lashings of butter and sweet honey before devouring it?!
Here is a simple bread recipe for doing just that. It also makes for a great activity to do with your kids.
This dough only needs to sit for 20 minutes before you can start rolling it into whatever crazy shapes you can imagine. It’s very easy to get right.
It can be nice to talk to your children about the farmer who grew the wheat, perhaps look up some images of what wheat looks like when it is growing. Grab a handful of wheat grain or barley and pound it up in a mortar and pestle and make some of your own flour! Researching the harvesting process is awesome for kids, especially those who love tractors!
A sweet little poem that you can say together before eating is:
Earth who gave to us this food
Sun that makes it ripe and good
Dearest Earth and dearest Sun
Thank you for all that you have done
BREAD ROLL RECIPE
2 cups organic flour
1 cup of oats
1 tbsp of honey
1 tbsp of yeast
½ teaspoon of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, oats and salt.
- Dissolve the honey and yeast in 1 cup of warm water
- Add the warm, frothy water to the flour mix and bring together with your hands
- Knead for 5 minutes
- Leave it to prove covered with a tea towel in a warm place
- Break the dough into balls the size of a tennis ball and roll it into a ball, a crocodile, a snake, or we have even seen some pancake shaped rolls! Let your children’s imaginations run wild with this!
- Place on a tray lined with baking paper and bake in your pre heated oven for 15-20 mins until the tops are golden and they sound hollow when tapped underneath
- Allow to cool slightly, before pulling open and slathering butter and honey over it. Now is the best bit. Devour it while the buttery juices drip down your arm! Yum