Kids LOVE making fresh pasta. You can use a pasta machine, but honestly, a rolling pin is much easier for young kids to manage. The recipe is as simple as 3 or 4 ingredients and children can help with the kneading and rolling out of the dough and then the adults can do the cutting!
Check out a very simple pasta recipe below and delicious ragu recipe here.
- 500 gm. all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Place flour on a board, and create a well in the middle.
- Crack and add 5 of the eggs into the well, add a pinch of salt and the oil to the mix.
- Slowly using your fingers to incorporate the eggs into the flour, until it comes together to form a ball. Knead the dough for 3 - 5 minutes, or until dough springs back when pressed with your thumb.
- Wrap and allow to rest 1 hour.
- Divide the pasta dough into four pieces.
- Cover the other pieces and set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough using a rolling pin until the pasta is around 1.5 mm thick.
- Dust the pasta sheet with flour to avoid sticking.
- Repeat the process with the other balls of dough.
- Allow the pasta sheets to sit for 10 minutes.
- Gently roll up each pasta sheet.
- With a sharp knife, cut the pasta into ribbons about 8 mm wide.
- Unravel the pasta and dust with a little flour.
- Follow the ragu recipe above for storage and cooking methods!